Inclement Weather Conditions
Driving in Icy Conditions
Freezing rain and ice are road hazards that Florida motorists seldom encounter, but such conditions can and have occurred in the state. Know what to do in this rare instance by practicing the safe driving rules below:
- Stay put. Avoid driving, if at all possible. The safest place to be is off the roads.
- Slow down. When roads are icy, vehicles don’t have the traction required to stop quickly.
- Stay alert. When the temperature is near freezing, the roadway may look wet when in fact ice is forming.
- Remember that bridges and overpasses are more prone to freezing in these types of conditions and will ice over first. Proceed with caution when driving in these areas.
- Don’t attempt to pass slower vehicles.
- Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- Gently apply brakes and accelerate at a slow speed.
- Be patient and courteous. Driving in adverse weather conditions can be stressful.
- Remember to dial *FHP (347) from your mobile phone if you are on the road and need assistance.