Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations

How do I renew my license or ID card?

How Do I? Menu


U.S. citizens and immigrants who have been issued a Florida driver license since 2002 may renew at their local driver license office, on-line or by mail. ID card holders cannot renew by mail. You may renew your license up to 18 months prior to expiration. A delinquent fee is required when renewing after the expiration date. Click on the renewal method below for specific instructions.

All customers must present:

Non-U.S. citizens and commercial driver license holders must present proof of legal presence at a driver license office to renew. For our military servicemembers and families, we have prepared some important information for those who are deployed overseas or are preparing for deployment.

All drivers 80 years of age or older who wish to renew their driver license are required to pass a vision test. The test may be administered at a Florida driver license office at no additional charge. Should you elect to have your vision tested at a driver license office, please schedule an appointment so that we can serve you more efficiently. Your other option is to have a doctor licensed to practice in Florida or a licensed physician at a federally established veterans’ hospital administer the vision test. He or she must be a medical doctor, osteopathic physician, or an optometrist. If the vision test is administered by your doctor a Mature Driver Vision Test Form (HSMV 72119) must be completed and submitted to the department. The doctor completing the form must be licensed in Florida or licensed at a federally established veterans hospital. Out-of–state doctors are not authorized to provide this information. Read more . . .

Upon passing the vision screening, you can complete your renewal process. However, if the exam reveals a problem, you will be requested to have an eye specialist licensed in the state of Florida or a licensed eye specialist at a federally established veterans hospital complete a Report of Eye Examination (HSMV 72010) prior to being able to renew.

Military personnel stationed outside of Florida can apply online by using www.GoRenew.com, if your citizenship has been established on your driving record. Or, you can request an extension of your license. Click here to download a military extension application.

Military Extension Requests can also be processed by calling (850) 617-2000 or by e-mail. You will receive an extension card that will keep your Class E license valid until 90 days after your discharge from military service. Please keep the card with your license and present it with your military ID. The card is free of charge and available to all active duty members of the armed forces and their dependents (spouses, children, and step-children under 21 living in the same household).

As part of the "motor-voter" process you can complete an on-line voter registration application for an initial registration in your county of residence or make changes (i.e.,address change) to your current registration.

FLORiDA Card : More than a license
Go Renew : Renew Online
OASIS : Make an Appointment
Link to MyFlorida.comMyFlorida.com       Privacy Statement | Disclaimer

Copyright ©2009 State of Florida